Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday Week 13

On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."

"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."

His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."

Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

John 2:1-6

I love this interaction between Jesus and his mother. It reminds me of many interactions I have with my wife. She gives Jesus what I like to call "The Announcement." She is asking him to do something, but she doesn't ask a question. She just announces the need. This annoys me. By looking at Jesus' response, it seems like it annoyed him too!

It doesn't surprise me that one of the common things Jesus says is: ask. (See Matthew 7, John 14). He's a guy. If you want something, don't beat around the bush. Just ask it!

The other thing I love about this interaction is that Mary isn't really asking for a miracle. This is my take at least. She notices a problem; my suspicion is that she wants Jesus to chip in and do his part as a friend to the host.

Her expectation on Jesus is on one level. What he does in response is on an entirely different one. It makes me wonder about the things I talk to God about. What if he wants to respond to my requests on an entirely different level? Am I ready?

Are you ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment