Wednesday, December 21, 2011

dec 22

The Rule of Benedict reminds the monastic to pray with the psalmist, 'I am a worm and not even human.' What may sound to a me-centered generation like the destruction of human dignity is, in fact, its liberating truth. I am not, in other words, everything I could be. I am not even the fullness of myself, let alone a pinnacle for which my family, my friends, my world, the universe should strive. I am only me. I am weak often, struggling always, arrogant sometimes, hiding from myself most of the time, and always in some kind of need. I cover my limitations with flourish, of course, but down deep, where the souls is forced to confront itself, I know who I really am and what, on the other hand, however fine the image, I really am not. Then, the Rule of Benedict says, we are ready for union with God.

It is not when we become perfect - the whole idea of which becomes ever more suspect ina a daily expanding universe - that we can claim God. It is when we accept the callow material that is ourselves that we can come to see beyond ourselves. It is when we cease to be our own god that God can break in.

- the Illuminated Life



No comments:

Post a Comment