Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Week 6

"As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 'I tell you the truth,' he said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.'" Luke 21:1-4

Let's back up and get a little bit more perspective.

Luke 20:45-47 "While all the people were listening, Jesus said to his disciples, 'Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished severely.'"

Jesus really doesn't like when folks put on a show. He says attitudes like that, men like that, will be "punished severely." I don't know about you, but severe punishment is not on my list of goals for life. But you couldn't tell by the way I live. The problem is that I really like when my good actions get noticed. I even get upset when they don't. On more than one occasion, I have fallen into the trap of doing stuff because people are watching...at least I hope their watching.

I am no better than these teachers Jesus admonishes. I am like the rich Jesus frowns at. I am far from taking on the attitude of this poor widow. I'm so far I don't even know how to get there.

Please pray for me, a chief of sinners. I want to be different.


No comments:

Post a Comment