Thursday, February 23, 2012

369

Now some Pharisees who had been sent questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor a Prophet?"

"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."

This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan where John was baptizing.

John 1:24-28

I recently became acquainted with an Amish carpenter. He is incredibly talented. And incredibly humble. And incredibly cheap. He could easily charge twice what he charges. I am not kidding. And as I have spent time with him the last several weeks (I have found excuses to spend time with him), I cannot help but be struck by how much he reminds me of Jesus. The exceptional carpentry - the humility - and the fairness - the more than fairness...this is exactly how Jesus must have been as a carpenter.

It reminds me of John's humility as a baptizer. There is something truly beautiful - right - godly - Christlike - what's the best word? for the truly humble. It touches me and challenges me and corrects me and inspires me...I guess you could say it humbles me!

No comments:

Post a Comment